Friday, May 09, 2008

Strange New York

I haven't been entirely fair.

In Japan, I carried around my camera-phone and would take amusing pictures whenever I saw fit, to post them on my blog and make sniping comments about the funny things I saw in Tokyo. But New York has its fair share of odd things too. The difference? Lack of a phone with a camera. So I started bringing my camera around in my bag, and lo and behold, I got some classics (when I had enough batteries).

Here are my favorites I have caught on film...Of course, the biggest fish get away, so to speak- I saw lots of things the times when I forgot my camera, like the mailbox painted to look like R2-D2. But hopefully this will give you a taste.

My office is very close to the convention center. Caught this guy commuting to the comic con!For anyone who isn't up on the video game scene, the latest 'Grand Theft Auto' game takes place in a city suspiciously like New York - "Liberty City". And it has a "Statue of Happiness". This enormous painted billboard takes you that much closer to living in the game.
(what this doesn't show is the constant honking in the background). The city just has these around, I'm assuming for firefighting purposes, or maybe just in case you'd like to freeze something and shatter it to show off. You can never be too prepared.
McCain has the homeless vote!
(grafitti on a NYC homeless services advertisement.)
Amusing mechanical malfunction. This happens to tbe the 'real' sign for New York pedestrians, who often cross six lanes of traffic during a red light (sometimes with a baby stroller!). It means 'feel free to ignore this don't walk sign'.
The New York Police Department in Times Square is lit up with purple and pink neon lights, to make it visible. The amusing this is it's STILL hard to see, while surrounded by so much sensory overload.Empire State building with flowers! (ok this isn't that funny, but... pretty,right? :) )

That's all for now, folks!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, that's pretty crazy isn't it? perhaps in 40 years you will be right :-) I guess we'll find out in 40 years!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Catherine Weaver said...

Never know when you need some handy-dandy nitrogen. Great they keep it hanging around on your local street corner!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home