Saturday, May 09, 2015

Gettin' Busy

Oh man. I am itching to write about work, but also, slightly terrified this blog will get in the wrong hands and be used against me somehow, as it often goes with the wiley ways of the ol' Internets.

I have been back to work for a year now (go me!) and, after shifting around in my department like some sort of ping pong ball, have settled into a non-demanding and technically noninteresting role.
Basically I am bored and feeling the lethargy of not learning any new technology. It is settling over me like a hot itchy blanket. A blanket I would like to kick off, poof, into the air, and scratch my legs and whatnot!

I know you're probably thinking, but Kyra, can't you learn new stuff at work?
Theoretically, yes. Practically, no.
Let me explain: I have not so much time at the office because I have to leave early to get to daycare on time, and so I have to get some shit DONE between x and y hours of the day, which leaves no time for prototyping or setting up development environments and so on. It doesn't help that we're not allowed to have training meetings not directly involved with projects that are making money for the company during business hours. (reasonable? yes. Annoying? you betcha!),
So, basically there is no opportunity to learn new technology at the office if you only work during the dedicated office hours.

Well... you're probably thinking.
Can't I dedicate some time at home to learning new stuff?
Theoretically? yes.
Practically speaking? Not so much.
I also have a tiny son who is very demanding, and adorably so, who makes me so exhausted that when I finally wrangle him to bed at around 10 o'clock (yes I know this is terribly late, please don't judge me), I fall asleep with him about 9 out of 10 times.
Apparently this is a pretty common problem with parents of young kids, so maybe Dr. Google can prescribe me some advice. Today Ray was sick so I stayed at home and started installing VM VirtualBox manager during his naptime, so I can run Ubuntu as a virtual machine on my windows desktop. I'm hoping to play around with FuelPHP and maybe work on some open source projects. Not like I have much time, but every now and then T will take Ray to have a daddy baby day on the weekends, so I guess I will settle for that for now.

After some cringing and wringing of the wrists I downloaded Lean In for the kindle, and am going to try to work on my career a little harder. For me, this means kicking off the itchy blanket and doing some projects, even when I don't really have time. I'd just better find some fun ones so I can stay motivated.
So my 18 month plan for now is.... contribute to open source projects and blog about them.
My goal: 1 new project, preferably in different programming languages, contributed to and blogged about every 2 months. I think that's a reasonable rate I can stick to.
My first project is working on creating some scripts for Hubot, an open source chat bot, that a coworker proposed for a company hackathon. The event itself will be held outside of working hours due to reasons mentioned above, but I'ma gonna work on something anyway just for kicks and giggles. I finally downloaded all the things you need to even start working on it, which is an extensive list!! and have learned a lot about new (ok, new to me) tech like... Yeoman, a generator... did you know about it?
You did?! ok, well, ... be that way, you smart person you.
So anyways! within the next two months, be prepared to see a blog about a chatbot! ;D and please let me know if you know of any other fun projects to get involved with.

Also, UPDATE! I got a lot of interest in my proposal for a tech study session, so we're going to bend the rules a teensy bit and have it during lunch time. I'm going to give a chat on CoffeeScript! And my friend John gave a really interesting talk about Reflexive site design.
Yay! Brainfood is delicious.

11 Comments:

Blogger Fugu Tabetai said...

I understand where you are coming from. I have to drop my son off in the morning, and try to get home by like 6pm or so. Since my wife works weekends (almost always) I just haven't had much free time for the past three years.

I did start recently getting back into one of my hobbies though, and finding the time for that has been a bit tough.

9:00 PM  
Blogger kaika-chan said...

Fugu thanks for the comment! I noticed your blog has all these technical posts these days and it made me both intimidated and inspired!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Kquotes Com said...

I have to drop my son off in the morning, and try to get home by like 6pm or so. http://kquotes.com/

8:12 AM  
Blogger aman deep said...

Thanks for post this helpful post - Please visit for More information about -
Movers and Packers in Mumbai
Movers and Packers in Hyderabad
Movers and Packers in Chennai
Movers and Packers in Noida

5:13 AM  
Blogger aman deep said...

Thanks for post this helpful post - Please visit for More information about -
Movers and Packers in Thane
Movers and Packers in Navi Mumbai
Movers and Packers in Ghaziabad
Movers and Packers in Faridabad

5:13 AM  
Blogger sushilkr said...


Movers and Packers in Gurgaon
Movers and Packers in Hyderabad
Movers and Packers in Bangalore

1:32 AM  
Blogger sushilkr said...


Movers and Packers in Pune
Packers and Movers in Delhi
Packers and Movers in Mumbai

1:34 AM  
Blogger sushilkr said...


Movers and Packers Hyderabad
Movers and Packers Bangalore
Movers and Packers Pune
Movers and Packers Gurgaon

1:39 AM  
Blogger Candy Sim said...

All the best blogs that is very useful for keeping me share the ideas
of the future as well this is really what I was looking for, and I am
very happy to come here. Thank you very much
earn to die
earn to die 2
earn to die 3
Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the
earn to die 4
courage to go ahead and give youu a shout out from
earn to die 6
Austin Texas! Just wanted to tell
earn to die 5
Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the
happy wheels
strike force heroes
slitherio
good game empire

12:55 AM  
Blogger نور الهدى said...



افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة تساعدك على نقل اثاثك بامان فلا داعى للقلق مع افضل شركة نقل اثاث بجدة

عزيزى العميل انت من محبى التنقل باستمرار بالتالى انت بحاجة ماسة وضروية الى الاستعانة بالمختصين في نقل العفش خاصة افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض لان الاستعانة باى من عمالة الشوارع الغير مدربة والتي لا تمتلك خبرة كافية في نقل العفش او الحفاظ علية وليس هذا فقط فقد يؤدى الاستعانة بعمالة الشوارع الى حدوث حالة فقدان وتكسير للاثاث بالتالى التاثير الضار عليك عزيزى العميل

لا تقلق مطلقاً الان بشأن نقل اي منقولات خاصة بك طالما استعنت بشركة الاول لـ نقل الأثاث في الرياض وخارج الرياض فنحن ليس الوحيدون ولكننا متميزون عن اى مؤسسة أخرى داخل وخارج الدمام وشهرتنا كافضل شركة نقل اثاث بينبع
ارخص شركة نقل عفش بجدة

1:29 PM  
Blogger SAP said...

Are you doing the identical? Are you settling because an individual afraid goods lies their world of the unknown? Do underpaid, but keep telling yourself I am just very happy to have employment right proper sap fiori

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home