Tuesday, September 25, 2007

past weekends

Since I can't think of any one amusing anecdote for my loyal readers today, I thought I'd share some random tidbits.

Last weekend, Takeshi, his friend and I all went to a soccer game! Yes, that's right, they have soccer here. It was a game between the New England Revolution versus the New York Red Bulls. We took the bus, which got us there about 45 minutes early, and the place was EMPTY. Scarily, depressingly empty. We started giggling nervously, especially when, half an hour to the game to go, the only one who had joined us in our entire section was a challenged gentleman who started franticly cheering for the Red Bulls... when the field was empty.

But 10 minutes to go, all the semi-enthusiastic fans started meandering to their seats, and there was a decent crowd to watch the game. I don't know very much about soccer other than getting it in the goal is a good thing (except when it's the your own team's), but I thought it was a good game. The final score was 2- 2. But more importantly, the soccer enthusiasts I came with told me it was a good game, even by international standards, so I was content.

Renn Faire pictures are up. We did NOT go in costume to my dissapointment, but I believe a gentle immersion into the world of the American Nerds is probably a good thing. As it was, a random costumed gentleman grabbed my confused husband by the arm and made him do a jig, which made my day. We had some delicious mead, some turkey legs, and watched knife throwing and a joust (at separate times). Also, a parrot tried saying 'hello' while simulateously trying to bite Takeshi's ear (this is after it tried to steal his watch).
So all in all, it was a good day.

If anyone has seen Kanye West's new video, it may be worth noting that the whole 'escaping from the hospital scene' was taken from the anime Akira. (Must re-watch Akira!). Amusingly, the katakana splashed across the screen says 'gasobare' instead of 'ganbare', and 'kosero' instead of 'korose'. tee hee.
(those who have taken a few years of japanese might want to look at in in depth, as it is rife with typos!). But I appreciate the anime reference, so I hope Kanye continues to gasobare in all his future endeavors.

2 Comments:

Blogger Catherine Weaver said...

Where is the NY Ren Faire held? It looked like a nice location.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was a nice forresty area. It was about 30 miles north of Manhattan in a place called Tuxedo park...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tuxedo+Park,+NY,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title
-Kyra

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home