Sunday, May 27, 2007

boob pudding

I'm gonna miss Japan.

I mean, I'm sure New York will be quirky and fun, but... where else can you find, at a convenience store off the highway, something as highly entertaining as boob pudding?
(for those who can't see the picture for some reason, imagine a package of two perfect half-domes of pudding with white peaks, with a proud-yet blushing anime girl as pictured on the wrapping.)

I spent a few minutes trying to figure out to whom this product was being marketed. Was it for flat-chested girls, hoping eating this magical pudding would somehow enhance their budding bosoms?( that was my first guess, but I had trouble imagining any self-conscious girl actually going up to the counter with it. Oh man. Talk about dying of embarrasment.)
More likely it's for the pervy Otaku crowd. Try NOT to picture this: A sweaty overweight guy, crouched over his computer screen, is feeling hungry... and takes out his favorite emergency backup food: anime-girl's boob pudding! He unwraps each one slowly, hungrily, first licking the peeled off backing, and then like a predator, goes in for the main course....

*EEk!*
Are you scarred for life now? hey, don't blame me, I told you not to imagine it.

Another only-in-japan photo I got this weekend was taken out of disbelief.
In Shinjuku, on the Southern Terrace (close to Takashimaya department store) is a newly-opened Krispy Kreme dougnuts. At least, it was newly-opened, four months ago.
This otherwise unexciting snackery boasts doughnuts, coffee, and.. a five mile line!!

When K.K Tokyo first opened in December, I was amused at the large number of Tokyoites willing to brave a one-hour line outside to experience the tasty, tasty treat waiting within.
But it is now May. And the line still rivals one at Disneyland. In fact, it is longer that your average Disneyland Paris ride.

Walking past on my way to the bookstore, I just want to grab and shake these people and yell "It's just a doughnut, people!! And even if you, understandably, happen to have an insatiable hunger for a doughnut, Japan has other doughnut shops!"

I think this critical mass of lines, like a black hole, is big enough to suck in people through sheer force of gravity.... after a point, people are just getting in line because there are so many people in line .
Or perhaps this is a front for some seedier operation. Like black market kidneys. Either way, I don't get it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when Krispy Kreme was HUGE over here? This was probably like high school for me...and you had probably been part of the work force for like 10 years ;). I don't think anybody over here would have waited in that long of a line for it though. KK is pretty much in the pooper here now though.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never liked Krispy Kreme donuts myself. LOL.

~Sarah

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home