Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tokyo By Pen

This month (November) I'm an Official Participant of 'National Novel Writing Month', aka 'NaNoWriMo' for short. All this means is that some of my friends, being mean bullies afraid to fail alone, dared me into writing a 150~ page (50,000 words or more long) novel between the 1st and 30th of November.

So far I'm loving it!!

Anyways, thought I'd post about it because I got this cute little pep-talk mail from the guys who run the challenge, and one of their points of advice was this:

Tell everyone you know that you're writing a novel in November.
This will pay big dividends in Week Two, when the only thing keeping you from quitting is the fear of looking pathetic in front of all the people who've had to hear about your novel for the past month.
Seriously. Email them now about your awesome new book. The looming specter of personal humiliation is a very reliable muse.

Very true.

Anyways, here's an exerpt from my novel, to keep those tounges wagging.

Excerpt: Tokyo By Pen

The narrow back alleys of the tokyo neighborhood were barely wide enough for two cats to walk side by side, and were astonishingly vertical. Neon signs lettered in kanji and cute mascot logos ran up and down the sides of the buildings like flourescent spiders, and fire escapes were littered with boxes, plants and airing laundry. She always wondered what would happen if there were an actual fire in one of those places, considering what she had just seen as entertainment was a fireball lit by an amature on the third floor of the building, and shuddered.

Speaking of the devil, she saw the amature himself, still in costume, resting on a box on the fire escape on the back of the club. He was busy texting and smoking at the same time, occasionally switching hands and showing ambidextrous phone-texting talent.

Aya got to the bottom of the narrow metal stairs and waved up. She caught his eyes, which got bigger and he nearly dropped his cigarette, but quickly caught it in an effort to remain cool.

She neatly stepped over the various obstacles, high heels digging into the ridged aluminum stairs. Her knee length white dress blew prettily in the chilly autumn air. When she got to the third landing, she smiled and proffered her hand. The bartender-monk shook it, bewildered.

Half-japanese, she switched over to her mother's language fluently and softly explained her intentions: to interview him for her latest article.
“I find interesting people all over tokyo, and listen to their story, get pictures, and write about it.”
“I don't think I'm that interesting, but thank you. Why did you pick me?” he said sheepishly, with typical japanese modesty.
“Actually”, she smiled guiltily, “I just wanted to come clubbing because it's been awhile. I got a great picture of you doing your fireball and thought, 'I just have to use this!' Anyways, you seemed like an interesting person to talk to. Do you mind if I ask you some questions?” She got a notepad and pen from her white synthetic snakeskin clutch.
“So you work for a newspaper or something?” he raised his eyebrows, impressed.
“Something like that”.

Across the street, behind a window, a pair of eyes glimmered sinisterly at the holy pair of angel and buddhist monk. The mind behind them was thinking very unholy thoughts indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------

dum-dum-duuuuuum! :D
Anyways, if you want to see more exerpts when they're posted, or how pathetically far I have fallen behind my daily word count quota, you can check my NaNoWriMo profile page.
I'll post again sometime in December to let you know how it went. :D
Also, if anybody knows how to go about publishing a book, let me know.. I am completely clueless on the subject!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Joshua Zimmerman said...

Good luck! My girlfriend is doing something similar on her blog, posting up bits of her story one step at a time. (Its judykrro.com if you're interested)

I always seem to start writing a story, get halfway done, and then find myself with writers block. Kudos to you if you can get it done!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Joshua Zimmerman said...

My bad, I typed in her URL wrong. Its www.judykroo.com (with two O's).

4:46 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

Update: I managed to do it! I AM officially a NaNoWriMo 2009 winner!
I am chortling in my joy.
... it still needs a lot of work before it will be anywhere near in a form I want to show to people though ;)

3:07 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Kyra! You wrote 50,000 words? In a MONTH!?

Man, and it takes me like an hour to get through a blog entry. Well, now you have to send us blog readers copies, you know. Also, you have to tell us when you're going to be back for xmas, since... you ARE coming back for xmas. (that's an order)

:)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

Mm, christmas 2010 maybe?
.... sigh. I miss california!!
I'm working on editing it now... it's fun to write fiction! it's easier than blogging, you should try it! ;)

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home