Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Randomities

So I know I should report about the entirety of the japanese wedding party like a good undercover japanese society reporter, but I'm too lazy. Instead I will reduce it to easily consumable factiods. (coming soon in sour mango flavor!)

Factoid 1: I wore a kimono and Takeshi wore a suit. Kinda ironic. But I'm not gonna complain too hard as I generally will take any excuse I can get to wear something kimono/yukata/ or pretty much anything costume related.

But why did Takeshi wear a suit?!

I will mourn this to the end of my days since that was pretty much the only chance I would have had to see my own dear Mr T. in a man-kimono. He totally has a badass samurai vibe goin' on, it would have looked so good on him. If it were up to me, I would have made him bring a samurai sword to add to the look. ^^ (maybe that's why it wasn't left up to me...)
But anyways, the main reason he didn't wear the man-ono was because of the handler's fee: even if you bring your own outfit, they have to hire a staffer to get you in and out of your duds for pretty much 4 hours of the day.

My handler was a little old lady who, from the time I arrived to the minute before we walked to the hall with the guests, would not stop touching me!! Literally. Every time she stepped back and I thought she was done, she would do a comedical double-take and rush back to fix little detail of the kimono. An obi wrinkle was slightly off-kilter? she was there. An invisible layering arrangement of the three under-kimonos was not perfect? She was there. My fancy geisha up-do had only two full bottles of Aqua-net hairspray applied to it?? She was There!
Even while we were having our professional pictures taken, she was pacing, staring at me from the back corner, hands twitching to correct imaginary imperfections. I still have nightmares where I wake up in the middle of the night and she's back!! (dun-dun-dun...)

Factoid 2: Apparently a Japanese wedding tradition, and I swear I am not making this up, is to have teddy bears made with the height and weight of the bride and groom from when they were born. These teddy bears are supposed to be given to the newly-wed's parents in a touching portion of the ceremony where the bride and groom tearfully say "you took care of us since we were this size. Now we won't be around anymore, so have this keepsake bear to remind you of me!"
Definitely a touching moment. If it were semi-spontaneous, that is, or if both sets of parents had been there, or, if it had been me and T's idea. But the sweet sentimentality was kind of missing as we were told, almost at gunpoint: "Here are your bears. Now give them to us at the ceremony. And think of a touching, tear-jerking speech. Or else!!"
This was coming from Takeshi's mom, who was getting annoyed at our apathy at the whole second ceremony. But in our defense, one wedding is enough. After that, you can't help but get emotionally detatched as a sort of post-wedding shell-shock.
So, we gave the bears to Takeshi's mom and dad during the ceremony. The speech I said had actually been written by Takeshi's mom, because I didn't know what to say. But it turned out good.
But what they don't tell you is those bears are HEAVY! Mine was eight pounds of sand and fluff and beady glass eyes. Picture a kimono-clad american precariously balancing on tabi-sandals bringing an enormous teddy the weight of a bowling-ball across a large hall, and you will have an acurate vision of part of 'touching moment' of the ceremony. I think I may have giggled at some point.
Plus I had a cold, so it was hard to resist the temptation to wipe my nose on "little Kyra".

Aahh, enough about the ceremony. If you get past the stalker-lady and the 2-ton bears, it was supremely lovely. A lot of Takeshi's relatives and friends from my study-abroad days were there, it was a crisp autumn day in the country and the weather was beautiful. Autumn is the best season in Japan, btw, if you're thinking of visiting. Early October is soo nice.

For pictures you can go to my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyranoshashin/ But now onto other topics.

Work is getting a little frustrating as the general manager of our project, through no fault of his own, keeps demanding changes to the online shipping system we're creating. The customers keep wanting changes made to the pages, which is understandable. This whole situation kind of reminds me of the time I tried to buy some sweet puma sneakers on sale, but they wouldn't give them to me on sale, as the display I saw had actually been for some other shoes. The pumas had been put on the display by someone too lazy to put them back where they belonged. The store clerk showed me the actual (ugly) shoes on sale, and explained to me sadly, "you know those messy customers."

But messy customers or not, this is like the fortieth time they've pulled this on us, and if they change the page layout, we have to start all of the developing over. ALL of it! Weeks of work goes down the tube! My optomistic coworkers are all like "it's a good learning experience. I'm getting SO FAST at developing the whole program from scratch!!" they say, with crazy glistening eyes. This makes me suspicious and think they are perhaps
1) smoking some sort of crack, or possibly
2) actually work androids that have been placed at my company as part of an experiment by the japanese government. You know those cool robots Japan displayed at the world expo last year were just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyways, by the 28-th or so time the project manager came by, I stopped developing stuff at the crazy pace of my android co-workers, and started "multitasking": ie, finding interesting things to read on the internet while I lazily redo the latest version, waiting for the word to start the whole process yet again.
What? Don't give me that look. Just yesterday, Project-Manager-san came by, looking dangerously close to seppuku-stage. "I am SOO sorry but you might as well stop what you're doing today, because the customers have told me they're going to tell us some big changes tomorrow..." he said, busting out the waterworks. He escaped from us with a bow and an akward "You know those messy customers!"
At that point, even the Androids were even starting to lose it as it WAS the seven-billionth rewrite, but I really didn't mind too much as I had found a great time-killer by then: reading cynical TV-show recaps on a site called "Television without Pity". Just the right balance of detail and good recapping and amusing tangents, plus the vital sarcasm when a show does something lame or cheesy. Another bonus is if you minimize it and put it at the side of the screen so the ads don't show, it just looks like a screen of text and it's hard to tell you're slacking off until you start laughing at something hillarious one of the recappers said. ^^;

My favorite read at the moment is 24: Season 2, recapped by the fabulous "Gustave". Takeshi and I are dangerously addicted to 24. I know it's super old news and it's on like season 6 by this point, but that show is GOOD! ^^ And it's really popular here. Tangent alert, but Keifer Sutherland has even been in several Japanese diet product "Calorie-Mate" commercials where he manages to save Tokyo with help from a skinny J-Pop idol and some "calorie-mate" bars. Apparently there are even multiple "episodes" of these commercials. Tee hee.

Oh man, sorry about this insanely long post. I'll try to keep it short and sweet next time.

Can you tell I'm writing this at work? ^_^;;

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That commercial is just weird. I dunno, maybe it's more culturally attuned to the local audience, but I found it hard to connect the product to him saving anything... Maybe if I could understand the nihongo...
Baka-chichi

7:47 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

All the girl is saying is like "yum" and "they're good for you too!" and "eeek!"

but then, it is #3 in the "series", I guess you could try watching from #1 and see if it makes more sense (which I doubt but.. ^^)

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

24 rules!!! Amber and I finished season 2 and had to stop because it puts a stop on our lives for like a week (she can actually finish a season in 2 days!). I noticed that Takeshi is smiling in these pics! Tell him I said hi,
Spencer

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another time waster might be to get into telneting to MUDs. It is a text based RPG and so it looks like you're going work (even when you're not!). If you like, I can e-mail you the one I used to haunt in High School. It's still up amazingly. They have not all gone the way of the dinosaurs.

By-the-by, you know in the wonderful world of graphic design (or at least in the books which are always not 100% reality) they say that in the contract you get 3 different designs (diff versions), 3 redesigns with 3 differnet versions and then it ends. Anything else will be an added charge.

It sounds like your company doesn't do that. Then again, I hear in Japan they like short 5 page max legal documents where the rest of the terms and conditions are left for when the time comes or to be negotiated in a drunken stupor.

Maybe your boss got too drunk way before the client did and then was brutally Aaaassssss.... nevermind.

GL with the job. I remember there was this terriffic magic mushroom shop near the Tokyo Tower that you can check out. Might make the time more bearable.

Just a though. :-)

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how everybody (and by everybody, at the very least, me) goes on TWOP to escape the drudgery of work.

:)

~Viet

6:44 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

heh, I had no idea other people read TWOP , I thought I found this cool undiscovered site. But since they get interviews with the stars and directors and stuff, guess it makes sense they're famous ^^
And please post the link to some quality text-based MUDs! So nostalgic, must check them out!
(is this dustin?)
Hey spencer! we're just finishing season 2, we watched it in a week. The video rental place is making major dinero offa us. >_<; Next time we meet up we should totally have a 24-athon! ^^

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home