Friday, September 09, 2005

Vote for me on September 11th

It's time for the prime minister election in Japan! I think the timing is a rather odd date, as an american, but I guess you can't stop the world on Sept 11th. Apparently, Koizumi is no longer 'dynamite', so the democratic national party is trying to muscle in a bit.

Unfortunately, this means that everywhere you go, trucks with LOUDSPEAKERS are driving around, shouting at the top of their lungs why their party is so much better and whom to vote for. In small, otherwise quiet neighborhood, you can hear them very well, even with all the doors and windows shut AND with the stereo on. When you're on the street and one comes by, it's tempting to stick your fingers in your ears to try to block em out. If I had the opportunity to vote, I would specifically vote for the people who's names I don't remember, because that means they haven't been bothering me. For instance, "TANAKA EIKO" has driven past my window at least 30 times in the last week, she would NOT get my vote!!

The funny thing is, even though they're being really obnoxious at insane decibles, they are using SUPER DUPER polite keego (honorific japanese). Its kind of a juxtaposition. Imagine:

"IF! YOU! WOULD POSSIBLY BE SO KIND!!! PLEASE DO US (THE HUMBLE DEMOCRATIC PARTY)!! THE HONOR OF!! LENDING US YOUR FABULOUS VOTE!! ON THE COMING ELECTION!! THANK YOU!! MOST HUMBLYYYYY!!!!"

Hee hee.
I was heading down to the grocery store, and some ladies were handing out promotional materials. One of them is.. what apppears to be a compressed towel, sqeezed into a mold shaped like a five-yen coin. I thought it would be a nice souvenir for someone. Here's a picture of it:

So, the first person who wants it that emails me their home address gets it in the mail! ... If you send me your address but you're not the first, I'll try to find something to send you. Like maybe a half-eaten bag of chips. Or if I'm less creative, a postcard ^^ My email addy is kyraweaver[at]hotmail[dot]com.

Yay a contest!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Begone evil blog spam...

10:06 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

We Have a Winner!
Viet Mai is the winner, he gets first prize! .. I have to think of some consolation prizes.. like a packet of tissues maybe.. ^_~

5:40 AM  
Blogger Kyra said...

By the way, Koizumi won. Maybe he's not dynamite, but he's at least a small firecracker.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home