Sunday, August 07, 2005

To fish or not to fish

"I'm not going fishing this weekend!"

Takeshi proudly announced last Wednesday. This took me as a surprise, because my little fishaholic has been going fishing every weekend at least one day since I got here. This usually means I come along to the countryside to his grandma's house when he goes, however, I'm safely in bed at 'peak fishing hours' which are, as previously mentioned, usually pre-dawn. Then the rest of the day we go hiking or something, when I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (and Takeshi looks like a member of the living dead).

Since I've been here almost three months now, the charm of going to the countryside every weekend is wearing off. It's a long drive, and we tend to live off convenience store food, which is expensive as much as it is malnutritious. So I've been staying home, meeting up with friends, and doing other things while Takeshi meets up with his (finned) friends. I would try to convince him to stay, but he is certifiably addicted to fishing. He is always reading fishing magazines and pointing out different species to me. 'This one is an Ayu, it smells like a watermelon and has a distinct crescent mark on its back, see? (I was very surprised to find out that it really DOES smell like a watermelon!), then this one here,' (he digs out his cell phone and points to the background picture he took and put as his wallpaper) "is an iwana. THey're really expensive to buy in the store. Then THIS one," (he flips open the glossy centerfold of 'SALTY!' magazine), "Is called a yamame. Its very beautiful, japanese fishermen call it the 'mountain princess'."

I was glad to have had that explained to me, as later that night he sighed in a meloncholy voice "I want to see my beautiful mountain princess!"
*whew*, that could have lead to a disastrous misunderstanding. ^^ To add to his massive knowledge of all things gilled, he is the only person I know who
1. owns 25 volumes of a fishing manga called 'Tsurikitchi Sanpei',
2. can catch fish with his bare hands. Its pretty impressive to watch.

Now perhaps you can understand the full depth of my surprise when he made his announcement of a fishing-free weekend. Seeing my disbelieving leer, he said 'No, honest, I swear to god. I promise I will not go fishing this weekend.' "You swear to god, eh? Would you be willing to sign a statement?" I chuckled. He shrugged. "Yeah, I will. I don't care."
...heh heh heh. My screen name isn't Evil Kyra for nothing. Seizing the opportunity, I made a small contract. Here is the peice of paper he signed: This weekend, he was having some serious withdrawal symptoms. "Please... can't I go? I NEED to FISH!!" Evil Kyra grinned maliciously. "Certainly you can go, my dear! I'm just going to make a little agenda for your tasks as my personal slave. Let's see, rub my feet, feed me chocolates, scrub the toilet, yes yes, what else..."
"Auuuughhh NOOOOooo! never!!! I'm not going, I'm not going!!"

Heheh. He was very strong, and managed to avoid the call of the river for one whole weekend. ^_~ But I must say, I'm a little dissapointed.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe. I'm proud of Takeshi, but disappointed for you. Does that make any sense? I hope so... ^.^;
Thank you for letting me stay those two nights! I had fun at your place before I left. I wish I was still in Japan so we could hang out more. ;_;
Oh, did I leave a letter there? I meant to send it the day I left, but couldn't find it in my bag when we went to the post office...
Well, I'll talk to you later, hopefully. Mata ne!

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He should be rubbing your feet ANYWAY...


[Dad embarrassed at this outburst, trying to appear to be
minding his own business...]

2:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

you have a winning blog. i laughed out loud. :)

1:00 AM  
Blogger Peetie said...

This entry was hilarious!!!! I was laughing so hard. Keep up the great work!

I have never met anyone our age who is so into fishing. The closest I can think of is someone from my freshman dorm, who I happened to bump into again senior year in SF. He told me he had dropped out of Stanford, to pursue a professional career as a competitive bass fisherman in Tallahassee, Florida, and that it is possible to win large sums of money doing so. Although, I remember him being a prankster, so I suspect he was lying.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I heard there was a quake in Japan - I don't know if it's near you or not but I hope you guys are okay!
~Sarah

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

yeah, I'm fine. I felt it, but we were pretty far from the epicenter. Even in Miyagi there were only a few injuries, nothing serious. Oh, there was a 10 cm tall tsunami. Does that even count as a tsunami?! haha.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know!

A 10 cm tall tsunami? Would you call that a...tsunami-chan?

Don't mind me. :-p
~Sarah

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home