Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Happy Halloween!

In keeping with the theme of the title, here are some very scary pictures I took with my phone to give you some... um... halloween fright.
This is crab miso soup, crab intact. I couldn't believe my eyes when this came out, I kept giggling until my face turned red and my eyes watered. (it LOOKS like a HAND!!!) Takeshi assured me it was very tasty and when I couldn't eat it, shook his head. "What a waste!" He said, taking it from me and slurping it down.
Wow, every time I think I've gotten over any possible culture shock, something throws me a curve...
What? You don't think this is scary? Ok, take a look at the price tag. Yes, that's way too many zeros at the end for a melon to cost. *disclaimer*: this is not a normal price, this is the legendary $300 department store melon. I have also witnessed the mythical square watermelon (it was real!!) , so neither of them are myths. You can get melons for under $10 at the grocery store. Still pricey, but I don't like melon anyway. Fuji apples, persimmons and mikans (tangerines) are way better in my opinion.
Update! News flash!
Here are some loose ends to wrap up from previous blogs.
  • The bug trees are still up! I went past, and there was a sign posted saying a meeting will be held about whether or not the trees will stay up on November 5th. Good luck, trees! ^^
  • Kim came up and we saw the fourth annual international taiko contest. It was great! There was actually only one international team, and that was 'TAIKO PROJECT' from LA. I knew they'd be good, because for the one year I was on LMU's taiko team, we went to a workshop they held. These guys are athletes!! They were so energetic, and added flair and style to traditional taiko. Hee hee, I wasn't there for the judging, but I'm pleased to report they took 1st place!
  • I start work on Tuesday (Nov 1st). I have corresponded with my new boss via email asking him the dress code, who would be training me, etc. I of course wrote these emails in Japanese. He responded by answering all of my questions, and then as a last side note, said:
    "Your Japanese is very cute, and I understand what you mean, but before you send anything outside of the company, please have it proofread." As an attatchment he included my email with all of the mistakes (there were a lot!) in RED, and corrected everything.
    *shudder*. It made me suddenly wish I could burrow into the ground and hide there for about a year. Damn! Now I know the flip side of my joy of reading engrish! What goes around comes around, I suppose... ooooh that's embarrassing O_o!

thank you for reading. now back to the pictures!
Eye of newt... This is one of our pet newts. They are over 10 years old, and still extremely energetic. They keep trying to crawl out of their aquarium. Apparently Takeshi got them when he was in elementary school. "Wow, you must keep great care of them!" I said. Takeshi replied nonchalantly..."Nah, they just won't die." Ah, engrish, you're so cute. This was inside a gondola that rides above an amusement park close to our town. But please tell me, they aren't actually *wishing* for an emergency, are they??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I was expecting there to be a picture of yourself. :)

Happy Halloween!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

However humiliating, at least you'll get better at business Japanese.

Besides, you can't be expected to speak fluently. And even in English, I'm not allowed to send anything out the door without having several people proofread it. Not so bad, really. ; )

Julia

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home